I moved about a mile away to a much bigger shop. Ralph from Autos International who I’ve know for years and does all my Dino interiors invited me to share his building. At the time I was looking for something bigger so it worked out perfectly. It took 2 months though to get in the shape I wanted. Autos International is renowned for heir Porsche interiors. I hired an old school metal guy sometime ago and we really need more room. So my new spot has an upstairs for parts and a large separate tool room. I have a bunch of stuff going!! For me I have the 206Sp in progress, 74 Dino Euro spyder with flares on rotisserie awaiting more metal work, 58 Porsche Speedster just finished metal work, I have a Dino 206GT I’m getting ready for Cavallino and I bought 2 early 70’s long hood Porsches that I want to try RSR tribute cars with some of my own touches. Couldn’t do that with the Dinos. For others I have a Lamborghini Miura P400 at the paint shop and a 246 Dino Gt to bring back to original. Lots of metal work and want original color which was Rosso Dino. Plenty to do!!!! Some more shots of new shop and projects.
Back to progress on the 206SP. I’ve been moving the last 2 months to a bigger shop so not much got done. The body is now almost ready to come off again so I can powdercoat the frame.
Gauges came today from Veglia!
Moving along with progress on the 206. Mostly fitting an altering right now. As reported I’m using a Fiat Dino 2.0 Engine. We changed it to dry sump, crank trigger ignition and other changes. There was a lot of work to mate it up with transmission. We moved the engine 2″ to the rear so we could fit the engine. Custom oil pan had to be made and a custom spacer to mate engine with transmission. We made custom headers and a muffler so it can be driven on the street. The wheels were custom made and picked up from powder coating today. I got a new larger radiator to account for it being driven on the street. The fuel tanks were restored with new bladders and new stainless steel straps. New windshield will be done next week and new custom Veglia gauges are on there way. I need a set of rear 206 calipers which I haven’t found yet and I’m doing inboard brakes as original. Next engine get cosmetic restoration, transmission rebuilt with appropriate gears for street driving and the framed media blasted and powder coated. A very fun project so far!
My car did not have a wiper system and even though i’ll never use it the original 12 206 sp.’s had wiper systems. I found a company that makes custom ones and so I had one made. Todays project was fitting it and making a bracket support. We moved the engine back about an inch or so which helped considerably, so tomorrow there will be some cutting and welding!
Today was the first trial fitting of the motor. The motor is from a Fiat Dino Spyder 2 Litre. The fit wasn’t bad, It did line up with existing mounting points but there will definitely be modifications done to the engine. Everything looks doable except for the fact that the distributor sticks out the front about 3 inches. I don’t know yet how this will be resolved. I’m also going to need to source a Fiat Dino transmission case to make the adaptor for the gearbox. I’m having wheels made to look like originals but in 15 inch for a better selection of tires seeing this is going to for the street. I’m also replacing the Wildwood brakes with Dino 206 Calipers and am going to inboard rear brakes like the originals. I have gauges coming in about 8 weeks ordered from Veglia to match originals. The windscreen had a crack so a mold was made and a new one is being made. All the suspension is done with the shocks rebuilt, hubs rebuilt etc etc.
The body was hand stripped and lightly blasted..
The body is completely off the farm now and some decisions can be made. First thing is to move the pedal box so I can reach them!! The originals had 13″ wheels and these are 15″, if I change to 13″ then the brakes have to be changed and the rears go inboard. We will see what shakes out. I’m open to all suggestions and help. Even if I go with 15″ wheels I’m going to need new ones made to match the original design.
More progress on the Dino. The body has been completely removed and now I can finish with disassembly, then have the frame powder coated. My engine arrived from the Netherlands today!